I woke up at 6:30 AM this Saturday and told my husband, “I need to make pesto!” I quickly did some hygiene, put my hair in a bun and headed to Price Cutter on E. Battlefield. Not all people wake up with that thought at 6:30AM, but I knew my basil plant needed a trim and I needed to take advantage of the fresh garden herb!
Whole wheat noodles, Parmesan cheese, and almonds..headed home and I was cooking up a storm by 8AM. This is an easy summer meal, perfect to pair with some grilled chicken or for a “Meatless Monday” option.
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts ( I used almonds)
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- To make the pesto, combine basil, garlic, pine nuts (or whatever nut you choose) and Parmesan in the bowl of a food processor; season with salt and pepper, to taste. With the motor running, add olive oil in a slow stream until emulsified; set aside.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. I put mine on whole wheat noodles but you can use it as a pizza topping, sandwich spread, whatever you like!