If you missed our Avocado classes this month, do not fear! The best part about our Eat Well classes is that we get to recipe test and truly find the best of the best when it comes to what tastes good. Some are excellent, and some are flops, but that’s just the kitchen days right? Part of the creative process and we have a gracious audience, so that helps. Here, we gathered the ‘best of the best’ or our ‘recipe-roundup’ of winning recipes from our month of celebrating these beautiful fruits!
Avocados are, of course, one of our favorites! A heart-healthy nutrient dense fruit with over 20 vitamins and minerals! They are, like most fruits, naturally low sodium and cholesterol free. We know them best for their fat content. Culturally, fat is a word that makes us run the other way, but these are the good fats! Good fats you say? Yes! The fats that help contribute to healthy skin, hair, nails and can actually help reduce your blood cholesterol levels. Fat is also good at satiating us, which is basically a fancy way of saying it helps to keep us full. Fats play an important role in the diet and are getting more attention than ever with the keto craze and low carb dieting.
So, as promised here are just a few of our favorite recipes we tested during avacodo month:
Chocolate Avocado Truffles
Makes: About 10 truffles
- 1 small avocado
- 1 c. quality semi-sweet chocolate chips (like Ghirardelli)
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- Sprinkles, cocoa powder, shredded coconut, or powdered sugar for rolling.
- Food process avocado until smooth.
- Melt chocolate chips in microwave until melted, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Stir in avocado and vanilla. Cover with plastic wrap and chill until firm, at least a few hours.
- Line baking sheet with waxed paper. Form mixture into balls about 1 Tbsp. each, then roll in desired toppings. Place on baking sheet, and chill until ready to serve.
Recipe Cred goes to: https://www.crazyforcrust.com/chocolate-avocado-truffles/
Protein Paleo Power Bowl
This one is absolutely delicious! We did a full recipe tutorial on our Eat Well Facebook page as well for this flavor-packed dish.
- 1-2 c. cooked spiralized butternut squash, spiralized sweet potatoes, or spaghetti squash (leftovers work great!)
- 1/3 c. diced red onion
- ½ an avocado, sliced
- 1-2 eggs
- Cooking fat of choice (coconut oil, avocado oil, ghee, or butter)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Add 2 tsp. cooking fat to a skillet on medium high, and sauté onion for 1 minute. Add spiralized veggies to pan, and cook an additional 2 minutes until heated through. Remove from pan, and add to bowl.
- Add another 2 tsp. cooking fat to skillet, and cook eggs (over easy is great in this recipe!). Remove from pan, and add to bowl.
- Add sliced avocado, salt, and freshly ground black pepper to bowl. Enjoy!
Easy Avocado Egg Bake
This one is just too easy! I made the above one morning in just a few minutes! Follow this link to the recipe!
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice the avocados in half, lengthwise and twist to separate. …
- Place the avocado halves in a baking dish, to keep them upright, and gently crack one egg on top of each half.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and add toppings.
Another favorite and perfect for the summer season is this Avocado Pesto. We served it with roasted veggies, but you could serve it on pasta, chicken or whatever you wish!
Makes: 1 cup Pesto
- 1 ½ c. fresh basil
- 1 avocado, skin and pit removed
- ¼ c. olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. pumpkin seeds
- ¼ c. water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- Zucchini, asparagus, and Brussel sprouts (cut in half)
- Avocado oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Chop veggies, toss in avocado oil, and roast on a baking sheet for 20-30 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Add basil, avocado, olive oil, pumpkin seeds, water, lemon, and sea salt to food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Drizzle pesto over roasted veggies and enjoy!
Remember that these are just our top picks
Be sure to check out https://avocadosfrommexico.com/ for more delicious recipes!