This month we are showing Almonds some love!
5 reasons to love almonds…
- They’re great for on the go: 1 ounce of almonds is about 23 almonds (*Remember the 1-2-3 rule), this fits perfectly in a perfect-portion tin or in any small container that can easily slip into your bag. Check out more tips for easy portioning here!
2. They’re heart smart: Research has shown that almonds may help maintain a healthy heart and cholesterol levels. *Remember not all fat is created equal.
3. They’re nutrient-packed: Ounce for ounce, almonds are higher in protein (6g), fiber (4g), calcium (75mg), and vitamin E (7.3mg) than any other tree nut.
This means that 1 serving of almonds contains as much protein as an egg and more fiber than 1 cup of oatmeal.
4. They’re a perfect fit for every way of eating: Naturally gluten free and low on the glycemic index (meaning less of an impact of blood sugars), almonds deliciously meet the needs of a wide variety of health-conscious consumers so go on and share with a friend!
5. They come in a variety of forms for endless possibilities: From slivered on cereal to almond butter on sweet potatoes to refreshing smoothies made with almond milk, almonds are versatile and oh-so-delicious!
Now for our roundup of favorite almond products in the aisles…
Granola can be a life-saver in the morning or it can put you way over the edge with calories and sugar for the day. Aim for a granola with few ingredients, you should be able to pronounce all of the ingredients as well. There will be several types of sugars listed because…well…it’s granola and people only buy it if it’s sweet. Pay special attention to the portion size listed, some companies list 1/4c, some 1/3g, and so on. For some brands, 120 calories and 8g sugar may not look bad but if you pour 1 cup of granola in to your bowl you’re consuming 480 calories and 32g sugar. That’s equivalent to almost 3 Tablespoons of sugar! I like the above products because they fit my criteria…simple ingredients, low in sugar.
Need something to pour on that granola? If you’re looking for non-dairy milk, almond milk is a great substitute. These are 2 of my favorite brands and notice they are both Unsweetened Vanilla. Always check your almond milk labels for grams of sugar, even the originals (which sound pretty harmless) can contain up to 9g of sugar, that’s over 2 teaspoons per cup of unneeded sugar! Compared to cow’s milk, almond milk is lower in calories, carbohydrates, and sugars but it is quite lower in protein. It protein is what you’re after consider adding hemp seeds or nuts to your bowl of granola or oats in the a.m.
Snacking more your style? Me too! I am a chronic grazer. Every time someone walks in to my office I’m eating..no shame in my snacking game! These are a couple of my top pics for snacks. Dark Chocolate Almond Mint KIND bars are my jam! Hear more about why I like them and some other bars here. The key to KIND bars is to find the ones with 5g sugar or less, there’s plenty to choose from! Maybe you like bite-sized snacks…these Melissa’s Clean Snax are for you! Each serving (6 bites) boasts 4g fiber, 5g protein, and only 4g sugar! You’re welcome for the introduction to the new love of your life.
More snacks! #allthesnacks
You knew I couldn’t go without highlighting something dark chocolatey! These Endangered Species chocolates are vegan! Yes! A vegan chocolate exists and it’s to die for! Sahale snacks are a new love affair for me. Think trail mix with a touch of class. You know when that sweet craving sneaks up on you at the office?…boom! Here’s the solution.
I hope you’ll check these out! Let me know what you think of them and I would love to hear your favorite almond products!